Blogaholic Designs”=

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Love cannot be cured by herbs


I've fallen in love.  It's true.  I've fallen in love with a place.  It is a place with picturesque beaches, breathtaking vistas, and architecture inspired by nine different countries dating back to the 16th century.  Not to mention quaint shops, an amazing used bookstore, great restaurants and great people.  And best of all, it is my new home.

 



It is everything a beach girl, bookworm and history buff could ask for.  We've been anticipating this move for so long that I was begining to feel more annoyed than excited about it.  Ernie's last day in Louisiana kept getting pushed back, but we finally have a set date.  His last day is next Friday, but Lily and I will be leaving Louisiana forever on Monday. 

This week I've been packing up the last few things we have in Louisiana and I'm starting to get very excited.  Lily and I have been living the life of nomads for the past year, bouncing between the West Coast, Gulf Coast and East Coast.  It has been a lot of fun and Lily and I have both been exposed to a lot of new experiences.  I've never been content to stay in the same place for long.  Shakespeare said that Fortune brings in some boats that are not steer'd, but I never want to think that I didn't take full advantage of every opportunity fortune has sent my way.  So I've used every opportunity since moving over here to take advantage of our good fortune.  But as much fun as I've had being a professional traveler over the past year, I'm glad to finally be settling into a permanent place again.  Of course, "permanent" might be a bit of a misnomer, since we have had three "permanent" homes since Lily was born.  But at least as permanent as it gets for our gypsy family. 

As crazy as it sounds, though, what I am most excited about (and I mean, giddy excited) is to finally get my books out of storage.  I have been parted from my books for a year and a half.  That may not seem like a big deal to all of you, but to me it is huge.  I have somewhere between three and four thousand books in my collection.  There are books from my childhood, books from school that I've read countless times and filled ever spare inch of the margins with my notes.  I have everything ranging from history to philosophy to religion to classical literature to silly fluff novels.  This is the longest I've ever been away from my books and I have been pining for them.  Having them on hand to browse is something I've missed, to be sure.  But I've also missed other things.  Like their musty smell or holding a small bit of someone (or many someones) history in my hand.  So in order to get them back - at long last - Lily and I are flying to Arizona next Sunday.

Yep, that's right.  We will be in Arizona.  So any of my Arizona peeps who want to get together for lunch or anything like that, just shoot me a message.  We'll be there for a couple weeks while I get everything together, then I will be driving a huge moving truck cross-country with the last of our things from the west coast.  After that, our east coast move will be official.  I am a little sad, considering I've grown up as a west coast girl.  But I'm also very excited to close that chapter of our lives.

4 comments:

Aaron Mills said...

So are you gonna be in SC now, or ????

Amy said...

We have to do lunch! I can't wait to see you and to meet your little princess. :-)

mad white woman said...

You probably own more books than some small town libraries. ha! I can't imagine moving that much, but you seem to handle it all so well. We must get together! I am at my parent's all the time and assuming you're at your parent's, there's no reason we shouldn't get together.

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Those are gorgeous pics!!! And I love that you refer to your family as a "gypsy family." Oh dear, oh dear. What does that make MY family?? We've moved NINE times in NINE years. Pretty pathetic!