Blogaholic Designs”=

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Musings

I know, I know, I'm on a roll with this whole blogging business.  I go weeks without a post, then BAM! You get three posts in a week.  What can I say?  I guess I had a lot to say this week.

I've been thinking a lot today about the attack ten years ago.  If you're friends with me on facebook then you know that I am a facebook junkie.  But a couple weeks ago I read something a friend posted there that left a bad taste in my mouth.  I decided to deactivate my account (I have since reactivated it at Ernie's request, since he's so far away and wants to stay updated with pictures and stuff).  This anonymous friend said something along the lines of, "Why do people keep telling me to remember 9/11?  It happened, get over it.  I wish they'd all f-off."

We are incredibly lucky to live near Ernie's family (this is related, so please bear with me).  He has cousins who live about 30 minutes away from us.  I love them.  They are kind and accepting and pull Lily and me into their family as if we've always been there.  They are really amazing.  Well, a couple of weeks ago they threw me a little birthday party, which was especially thoughtful since Ernie wasn't here and I was feeling a little sorry for myself.  At the party, Loyda was telling me about a trip she took with her daughter's class to D.C.  They visited the Holocaust museum and the kids didn't even know what the Holocaust was all about.  Being slightly history-obsessed, I realize that I know and care more about history that the average joe, but I don't think I was unjustified in being horrified.  I mean, not knowing the details of the Revolutionary War, or the War of 1812 or the Civil War or the Spanish-American War is understandable.  Still horrifying to me, but understandable.  But there are still people alive today who experienced the Holocaust.  That there are people who don't know about it today is astonishing and - really - quite sad.

Ernie - and I'm certain many others - doesn't understand my obsession with history.  He sees all my books as more of a nuisance than anything else.  For me, I don't understand how anyone can NOT be interested in history.  By analyzing the social, political, and economic threads of the past, the study of history gives us the skills to analyze those threads in the present.  More importantly, when we as a people don't know where we've been - don't understand what was sacrificed to get us to where we are - we become complacent and apathetic.  Then we become vulnerable.  Vulnerable to demagogues like Hitler, who was really quite charming and persuasive.  We are the sum of our history - good and bad - and those who don't understand that are doomed to repeat the mistakes of history. 

We can't truly move forward and progress as a society without an understanding of our history.  Knowing the trials and sacrifices of the past pushes me to do better - *be* better.  The difference between success and failure has nothing to do with money or privilege.  It has to do with motivation.  When we become complacent, we lose our motivation.  Our drive.  As individuals, this is scary enough, but as a country it is terrifying.  Because then we are on the verge of losing the freedoms that millions have fought and died for.  The freedoms we so cavalierly take for granted.  Talk about dishonoring their memory.

Anyhow, the point of my rambling post is that I will continue to remember and talk about September 11th, just as I will continue to remember and discuss the other terrible and awesome events of the past.  I don't care who that annoys or makes uncomfortable.  And it has nothing to do with perpetuating a cycle of fear, or any other such drivel people spout about September 11th.  And it has NOTHING to do with politics.  It has to do with reminding myself and others that freedom doesn't come free.  That isn't just a platitude, so think about it for a moment.  We cannot sit idly by and expect to retain our freedom without effort and understanding.  Because there will come a time when we have to stop relying on others to do the heavy lifting.  A time when we will have to save ourselves.  I hope that we are up to the task.

2 comments:

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

I love that you are history obsessed and more people should be. We learn from the past. I am rather obsessed with WWII and Holocaust stories and have read hundreds of them. It's sad but it's amazing to me how people get through such atrocities and how the human spirit is stronger than we think. I am in awe of these "survivor stories" of both horrific events. LOVE your post!!!!!!!

mad white woman said...

I'm sorry I'm horrifying. :) I like history, but my brain really struggles remembering things like that. I've tried, but it just leaves soon after it's learned. I do think history is important and I don't think it's wise to "get over" these events. This post was awesome. I would point out my favorite line, but it was pretty much the final 3 paragraphs. It made my heart burn.