Blogaholic Designs”=

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Sew-saw Margery Daw

The other night Lily and I were going through our nightly ritual of bedtime story/song and snuggle.  During our snuggle time, Lily told me that some day she was going to be the same age as me.  I told her she would, but by then I would be an old lady.  After a brief, horrified pause, she promptly burst into tears.  It took some coaxing, but I finally discovered that the source of her tears was that she didn't want me to be an old lady because then I wouldn't be her mommy any more.  Of course, I lovingly comforted her and explained that I would always be her mommy forever and ever and nothing could change that.  Secretly, it made my heart swell.  It is nice to be so very loved.



Lily is a constant source of joy and happiness for me.  She is constantly amazing me and making me laugh.  We started preschool last week and I'll admit, I was a little worried.  Last year we did a sort of daily preschool-like schedule which consisted of arts & crafts and storytime.  All total, it lasted for about an hour a day.  But this year I wanted a more structured schedule to get her ready for kindergarten.  So I got some books and lots of supplies and set up a 3.5 hour schedule.  I was nervous, but Lily loves it so much that I'm considering adding an extra hour starting next week.  And she's doing really well.  So far, I am digging the whole "homeschool" vibe.  I still am vascillating over doing this long-term, though.  There is a constant battle within myself about public school.  Not only do I feel that the quality of public education leaves something to be desired, but I worry about the kinds of things Lily would be exposed to from her peers.  The practical side of me realizes that I can't raise her in a vaccum.  She will be exposed to bad influences no matter what I decide.  But the control-freak side of me likes the greater control I have with homeschooling.  Who knows what I will decide (certainly not I)






Right now we are focusing on phonetic reading and writing (ps: anyone with experience with this is welcomed to give me advice).  She already knew some sight words from last year, and she knows the sounds of the alphabet as well, so it has been a remarkably easy process.  Plus, her attention span has grown quite a bit from last year, so she can focus on her tasks without me feeling like I'm going to pull out my hair.


While I didn't want to make our preschool cirriculum so strict as to stunt Lily's creativity and self-expression, I did want to get her used to learning in a more structured environment.  But with a kid as imaginative as Lily, I didn't have anything to worry about.  After a circle time devoted to learning about India, she made herself a zebra-striped sari and built a palace in her bedroom, declaring herself an "Indian Princess".

After preschool, I always try to take Lily on a field trip.  She loves to go on nature walks and trys to spell the different things we see.  Our favorite field trip (perhaps not surprisingly) is the beach.  In trying to keep these field trips educations-oriented, I discovered that I am woefully lacking in the marine-knowledge department.  Lily has endless questions about everything from the waves, to the sand, to the seaweed, to the shells and animals we find.  And truthfully, I have very few answers.  I am, after all, an Arizona girl, born and bred.   Luckily, between the internet and the local library, I've found a wealth of information.  We spent an hour on Monday looking at and discussing these beautiful pictures of sand.  I've always felt that science and education inspire creativity, and I definitely see that opinion confirmed in Lily.  The more she learns about the world, the more wonder she sees in the things around her and the more she wants to express herself.



She is a very busy girl, this daughter of mine.  Between preschool, field trips and dance/drama classes, she is busy from 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.  But I try to make it fun for her.  That is going to be my constant struggle if I do decide to stick with this homeschooling experiment.  Keeping her mind engaged and making school enjoyable while still teaching her the things she needs to know.

And of course, finding time to spend with her when we can just enjoy each other's company has become even more of a priority for me.



Our schedule most days goes a little something like this:

7:30:   Breakfast
8:00:   Bath/hair/teeth
9:00:  Free play, usually with molding clay or blocks
9:30:  Circle Time
10:00: Phonics
10:30: Science
10:45: Snack
11:00: Arts & Crafts
11:30: Lunch
11:45: Math
12:00: Music time
12:15: Storytime
12:30: Quiet time
1:30:   Field trip
3:30:   Extracurricular class
4:30:   Mommy/daughter date

I started this post about a week ago and haven't had a chance to finish, so I will just end it now rather abruptly and bid you all adieu.  Yep, I'm just mysterious that way.  Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Planty Mama said...

I have gone back and forth about the home school thing, too. What finally decided me were two things: Sarah REALLY wanted to go to school with other kids and some good advice I got from a friend. She said that she would rather her kids be exposed to things from their peers now while she's there to help them process it and they're more likely to share about it than wait for them to encounter these things for the first time when they "leave the nest." And you are an amazing mom and will supplement what the public schools are lacking.

Amy said...

Wow, I'm super impressed that Lily (and you) do that much schooling a day. I only do about 2 hours of structured work with my kids each day. Of course that doesn't include reading time and field trips, ect. The great thing about homeschooling is that you can do the same thing they do in school in a much shorter time. Which leaves time to teach them so many things they DON'T learn in school. People ask me all the time how long we intend to homeschool and I honestly don't know. I do feel very strongly that a 5 year old hasn't developed enough of their personality/belief system yet for me to pass over the most formative years of my child's life to complete strangers. We take it one day at a time here and we love it. The hardest part is making the decision. LOL

mad white woman said...

I'm not usually one to get down from other's posts, but this made me feel like a putz of a mother! I wish I could be that structured because part of me wants to home school... but maybe just a little part. :)