Blogaholic Designs”=

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Introducing The Hamiltons

Everything in Charleston wakes up slowly. The sun, as it peaks over the horizon, sort of eases you into your day. There is no urgency to get somewhere, no stress over being late. The slow-paced style is all-too alluring to someone who has lived her entire life racing from day-to-day, trying to pack as much into each of them as possible.

The smell of the bog and peat permeates everything in the lowcountry. It leaves a sort of sweet-salty smell that comes with the breeze as you walk along the Battery. It is as much a part of the city as the pre-revolutionary homes and cobblestone streets.

This is the backdrop on which I met Ernie's family for the first time. And they, in turn, met Lily for the first time. There was something about South Carolina's low country that made any nerves or anxiety that would usually accompany such a first meeting melt away. And the fact that his family is amazing sure didn't hurt. Let me introduce you to these wonderful people. Starting with...

Ernestine
My first time seeing Ernie's mother was at 2:00 in the morning after nine hours of flying and three hours of driving. Despite the hour, she was kind, courteous and intimidatingly well put together. If I had a car-full of visitors come to my house at two in the morning, I wouldn't be hospitable. I'd probably be beligerent and grouchy for having my sleep interrupted. And I most definitely would NOT be put together in the slightest bit. I was terribly intimidated by this woman who effortlessly took care of everyone. I didn't lift a finger to cook or clean all week. I felt bad watching her cook and serve everyone. But my word could she cook. Between the ribs, steak and potatoes, burgers, blue crab, shrimp and delicious homemade pie I must have gained five pounds while we were there.

Denise
My first time meeting Niecy was also at two in the morning. She walked down the hall and my first thought was that I was looking at Lily in thirty years. As much as I hate to admit it, she looks more like Lily's mom then I do. The Hamilton genes are quite strong. They all look alike. But Niecy is quite amazing. She is raising two of the most wonderful boys I have ever met. So sweet they'll give you a tooth ache and polite to a fault. And she beats the crap out of Ernie, which you've got to admire.


Peyton
Peyton is Niecy's oldest boy. He is affectionate and sweet and all ready a charmer. And get this. He puts himself in time out when he's done something he isn't supposed to. How many kids would do that?


Jaxon
Jaxon is the second most adorable baby ever. Or a very close tie for first. He never stops smiling. He is just learning how to walk, so he stumbles and totters around everywhere. So cute you just want to bite his cheeks. And he's got the most adorably chubby feet.

Butch
Ernie's dad (also named Ernest, but they call him Butch. They also calle Ernie Tankey. I guess it's a southern thing) is so much like him its scary. When I look at him I see Ernie in thirty years. I told you the Hamilton genes were strong. But more than that, they act so similar. The same gestures, mannerisms and vocal inflections. Jennifer and I could commisserate over having to live with such goofballs. Did I mention that the first time we met he called me Adolf Hitler? True story. While we didn't spend as much time with him and Jennifer as with everyone else, I couldn't help but think he's great based solely on the fact that he fell hopelessly in love with my daughter. He certainly did gush over her. But don't think the feeling was all one sided. Lily fell head-over-heels for her Grandpa. She is still asking where "Papa" went.

Jennifer
Jennifer (Gigi) won Lily over immediately by bringing her a bag full of beautiful dresses. Lily loves dresses. Gigi was the only one Lily went right up to without hesitation. And if I remember correctly, she was the first one Lily gave kisses to. Without any prompting, too. She was great with her. And since she dug right into the crab and shrimp, she wasn't likened unto Adolf Hitler. My favorite part of meeting Jennifer was that, after being surrounded by people with beautiful, olive complections the entire week, I finally met someone almost as white as I am.
Gene
We got to spend the entire week with Gene. He is quite the energetic boy. He was so excited to spend some time with his big brother, Tankey. He and Peyton were quite the pair, wrestling and running wild all week. And for most of that time, Lily was chasing right after them trying to be part of the fun. But by the end of the week, however, she had had quite enough of the rambunctious boys. Gene and Lily became fast friends, though. He thought she was hilarious and teased her relentlessly just to see her reaction. Lily has great reactions. And Gene laughed uproarously every time. It seems that is a trait that runs in the family.

Lucas
We didn't get to spend a whole lot of time with Lucas. But after everyone telling me how bad he was, I was surprised to find such a polite, sweet boy. Granted, I didn't spend much time with him, but how could he not be sweet with that charming little smile?
And so you have met Ernie's family. There were more of the distant relatives that we met, but this covers his immediate family. They were all wonderful and we had a fabulous time. Lily and I are so happy to have met all of them.

3 comments:

mad white woman said...

What a beautiful way to introduce a beautiful family. I long for a vacation to a slower-paced life. I think mine has spiraled out of control recently... So when I go, I'll have you write up my report of it. :)

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

How fun to finally meet Ernies family!!! And Denise really *does* look like Lilly, wow!!!

Shelly said...

That is so great that you guys were able to meet Ernie's family and I would have loved to see Tankey being picked on by his sister that is to FUNNY! I'm glad you had a great time with his family they look like a lot of fun. Jamie I just wanted to tell you how pretty you look in that family photo that was taken with Ernie's family I love how everyone was dressed in white very elegant.