Blogaholic Designs”=

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Lily Smiles


Have you ever had one of those life-examination moments? A time when you look back on your life and remember the dreams and aspirations you had as a kid only to realize that you haven't realized most of them? I had one of those the other day. Working (seemingly) non-stop for the past little while has turned me into a philosopher, it seems. I'm not on the fast-track to being a state senator or starring in a Puccini opera at the Met. Hurricanes and curve balls and wrong turns happen. Life happens. And somewhere along the way, we lose our starry-eyed innocence and stop thinking that anything is possible.

Few of us achieve the things we dream of as children. As we become adults, it feels like there is one falling anvil to dodge after another. Being constantly faced with realities of everyday living, it's hard to keep that feeling that anything is possible. That you can do anything you put your heart into.

But when I dance with my daughter in the den, or wake up to her sweet giggle in the morning, I reconnect with the idea that the world is at my fingertips, and there is nothing I can't do.

But I also realize in those moments that the greatest thing I can do with my life right now is let my daughter teach me how to "fly" on the kitchen floor. (If you can't tell, we are both saying "wooo!" Lily's favorite thing of late is pretending to be an airplane)

1 comment:

mad white woman said...

Ahh, thanks for your thoughts. A similar topic has been on my mind. A few weeks ago I had lunch with an old co-worker. When she told me one of my "equals" had been promoted to a Manager this year, it was a little bit hard for me to hear, knowing that, had I continued to work there FT, that's where I'd be too. Then I came home, saw Clara's face and realized nothing brings more joy than a child's smile. That, is a wonderful accomplishment.

It's never too late for the opera... I hear female voices mature mid-20's at the earliest. ;)

Hopefully you get to go back to your normal schedule soon!