Blogaholic Designs”=

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Make a little magic


Normally I make homemade gingerbread and we decorate a train for Christmas, but since it is just me and Lily this year, I bought a cheap gingerbread house kit.  It wasn't nearly as tasty a my gingerbread, but our gingerbread house decorating party was still fun.  Hopefully we'll get to do a proper gingerbread train decorating party once we get to Charleston.


She didn't like eating the candies, but she loved decorating the house.  She was very precise in how she wanted everything placed. 


The frosting was my contribution and candy placement was Lily's.


I think her door shows quite a lot of imagination.  You will notice, however, that there isn't much candy on one side of the roof.  When I mentioned she may want to put more on the neglected side, she said no, that it was perfect.




The door was complete with Christmas lights and a wreath.



I'm not certain, but I think I *may* have put too much water in the frosting mix, as evidenced by the drooping windows and shingles.

But Lily still loved the frosting, watery and all.  If I'd have let her, she would have eaten all the leftovers.


The finished product. We decided to name it our psychedelic hobo shack.  Predictably, Lily's first question was "When can we eat it?"


So the kit wasn't as pretty or as tasty as our homemade gingerbread, and I really wish I'd had the forsight to buy extra candy, but I don't think Lily was too disappointed.  And we both had a blast and got to spend time together making some Christmas magic.  That alone makes the project a success.

2 comments:

mad white woman said...

I have made gingerbread once and it was nasty. Will you share your recipe? Otherwise, I may never make it again.

We decorated houses tonight too. Clara's was much less meticulous than Lily's and after I put her to bed, I walked past and noticed every single piece of candy had been eaten off of it.

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

How the heck is your house so cute!?!? Our roof always caves in, haha! Lily is so darling!