Blogaholic Designs”=

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Not Your Usual Thanksgiving (otherwise known as my 100th blog post)

I love the holidays. All year long we get caught up in our day-to-day lives. The stress, the needs, the rush and hustle that is life. But from November through December, everything slows and our focus shifts. We think of our blessings and make time for loved ones. Family gathers with good food, laughter and memories. The weather cools and makes the world seem softer - magical, somehow.

This year is a bit different, seeing as Ernie is temporarily in Louisiana for work. But it was still a magical start with a big Thanksgiving with his family in Charleston.

Thanksgiving started out with breakfast at IHOP. It wasn't always IHOP, though. When I was a girl, I remember waking up with eager anticipation for that cup of hot chocolate from Mickey's with the mile-high whipped cream. I also remember the first time Jenifer ordered a belgian waffle for Thanksgiving breakfast. We all watched in envy as she savored what looked like her own personal cake for breakfast. Suffice it to say, we all got a belgian waffle the next year.

Thanksgiving dinner was wonderful, thanks to Ernie's mother, Ernestine. She made the best honey-glazed ham I've ever tasted, and she has made me a fan of sweet potatoes. I've never liked them before, but she makes them with this crumble on top that makes my mouth water just thinking about it. Once we were all in a food-induced coma, we relaxed and chatted while the kids played and watched movies. A very relaxed, idyllic holliday.

(This is just a picture before our Ghost Tour in Charleston, but I'm throwing it in because I think it is the only picture of just me and Ernie since Lily was born and I rather like it.)

Ernie took two weeks off from work, so after Thanksgiving, we did a bit of traveling.

My favorite part of our vacation was our trip to St. Augustine, Florida. If you didn't know the history, this is a little beach town south of Jacksonville that has been the longest continuously occupied town in our country. Juan Ponce de Leon came up to claim in in the early 16th Century and it has been occupied, mostly by the Spanish or French, ever since. It has the laid-back feel of a beach town as well as a healthy dose of Southern Charm and history.


This is the view from the Castillo de San Marcos. It is one of the most beautiful spots I've seen.



I realize this is a very fuzzy and funky picture, but it is also the only one of all of us that was taken during the trip, so I'm including it regardless of the fact that it looks like we all have two mouths and two sets of eyes. We're standing at the moat of the Castillo de San Marcos.



Look, its Ernie and his mini-me. I have never seen a daddy and daughter who look as much alike as they do in this picture. Its a good thing he's such a hottie.



St. Augustine also boasts the oldest standing wooden schoolhouse in the country. Right in the middle of St. George Street.

And a rather spectacular lighthouse.

To say nothing of the wildlife. Downside to the wildlife: alligators. My biggest irrational fear since moving here is that Lily will be gobbled up by a 'gator.

We also visited Beaufort, SC. We've gone several times in the past, but I've never had a chance to really take pictures. This is one of my favorite towns. It is so peaceful and beautiful and everything moves at a snail pace. I love it!

There is this great little park at the waterfront where Lily had a blast running around and playing in the leaves.

And hiding behind trees.

Lately, every time I tell Lily to smile for the camera, she cups her cheek. She calls it her "Princess smile." She's very into princesses, if you hadn't noticed.

Another princess smile.


Nothing like a kid to remind you to stop and smell the roses, eh?



I think these shots make up for my dissatisfaction with our family pictures. I got some great ones of her.

We passed by the visitor's center in Beaufort, which was once an artillery. Lily was convinced it was a castle and demanded we go inside.

When she saw these great benches, she was even further convinced and proceeded to act out Sleeping Beauty.

One of my favorite parts of Beaufort, other than the really great used bookstore, is this ice cream parlor They serve you homemade ice cream in these cute, retro dishes. The ice cream, as well as the kitschy atmosphere, make it a great place to visit. Lily loves it.

We didn't do much other than wander these gorgeous streets. But really, that was enough. All the streets are lined with great Antebellum homes.

To say nothing of the live oaks draping across everything. Notice how tiny Ernie, at 6'2", looks next to this one.


The trees also make for great photo ops. (And another princess smile)


And canons...

They have canons everywhere.



Overall, I think it was a very successful Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

mad white woman said...

I love the holidays too... that picture of the Thanksgiving turkey and set table looks straight from a magazine. It's beautiful.

Bummer about Ernie being gone, but based on the pictures from your vacation, it looks like it was pretty awesome. You sure captured some incredible shots.

Lily is looking so grown up and your new(?) hair color is a big change.

Steve and Cyndi said...

That princess smile is awesome! I think it is my new favorite! :)