Blogaholic Designs”=

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Do Not Feed the Alligators

To the person who inspired the installation of this sign at Fontainebleau State Park, you deserve a big, fat stupid sign.  I mean, really?  Who needs to be warned against feeding the enormous and frightening progeny of deinosuchus?

I have decided to enjoy my time in Louisiana as much as possible and find things I love, rather than enumerating all the things I can't stand about the place.  We only have a few weeks left to enjoy it, after all.  And how many people get the opportunity to live in so many different places? 

To further that goal, I've decided to partake of the breathtaking and diverse natural beauties of this state.  And there truly is quite a bit natural beauty here.  So yesterday, Lily and I packed up our gear and headed to Fontainebleau State Park for a brisk, winter hike.



We had a great time and, once I got over my somewhat (but not entirely, as you can see from the picture below) irrational fear of Lily getting eaten by an alligator, basked in the surprising loveliness of the area.


We saw everything from cottonmouths (yes, one of the most venomous snakes and we had the privilege of running into it...lucky us)


...to cardinals 


...to alligators

.
..to white-tailed deer


      
And many, many more. 



It was a gorgeous day, despite being 48 degrees. Lily collected lots of new and beautiful treasures for her collection, and we hiked for about two miles (I use the term "hike" lightly.  It was more like a meandering nature walk), at the end of which was the aptly-named Alligator Boardwalk.






Once we ran all over the marsh and saw many new and exciting creatures, Lily decided she was tired and I got the distinct privilege of carrying my 38 pound toddler back two miles to the trail head.  Let me tell you, it was fun.  But on the plus side, it was a great workout.  Next time, however, I will bring our backpack carrier, just in case.


  
It was a serene, peaceful day.  I love taking Lily to new, fun-filled places each week, but I love days like these even more.  It makes us step back from excitement and seemingly-constant stimulation and enjoy some peace and tranquility.  It also gives me a chance really talk with Lily and spend some time getting to know her.  She is so very bright and energetic and eager to learn everything.  She amazes me every single day.  Days like these, I think, are important to maintain a connection with her.  I want her to always trust me and know she can talk to me about anything, no matter what.  I believe that starts now, with moments like these.

1 comment:

mad white woman said...

I'd probably feed the alligators if that sign wasn't there. Come on, wouldn't it be cool to watch them eat?

Snakes and alligators would stress me out. Especially with a toddler. Even then, what an awesome adventure!

All of your pictures are great, but that picture of the deer is amazing. Seriously.