Blogaholic Designs”=

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Mardi Gra 2011


This weekend we took Lily to her (and consequently my) first Mardi Gra parade.  I don't recall being to a parade since I was a wee one myself and I have to say, that is a shame.  There was cotton candy, brass bands, king cake, as well as beads and all sorts of goodies flying through the air.  It was fun.  Better yet, it was free fun.  Gotta love that.



While we waited for the party to begin, we found a grassy knoll where Lily could play ball.  It was a life saver, as we arrived an hour before the parade began.  Not by any great time management skills of ours, I assure you.  We thought it began at noon.  We arrived at 12:15, only to discover it didn't start until 1:00.  Just lucky happenstance.





After buying her a Sponge Bob Mardi Gra hat and balloon she insisted she would cherish forever and ever (which she promptly abandoned...$20 well wasted), Lily got the best spot in the house to watch the parade.









It didn't take Lily long to notice that the floats, while bright and colorful, were also full of goodies. She was soon begging for favors right along with the rest of the crowd.




And she definitely got her fair share of mardi gra beads.  Though, thankfully, not by the traditional method. We now have a large bucket filled to brim with the shiny, colorful things.





Her favorite parts of the parade, however, were the marching bands.  Once she saw them, she was in heaven, beating "drums" everywhere she went.  Of course, now she keeps begging me for a drum set.



Those manning the floats looked like they were having a grand time as well.


I can't imagine why...







It was a great kick-off to our Mardi Gra celebrations, and we were late to the game.  These parades and parties have been going on for over a month now.  This weekend we get to go to the family Mardi Gra.  I'm told that is where the real fun is to be had.

Can't wait.

2 comments:

mad white woman said...

Fun! I've been to a lot of parades, but I don't think any of them have boasted that many bright colors. Even just your pictures kind of make me want to hop up off the couch and dance.

Lily's hat would've been perfect at our Mad Hatter tea party. ;)

Steve and Cyndi said...

I've always wanted to go to Mardi Gra! So fun! I can't wait to hear about the family Mardi Gra... I didn't even know that existed...