Blogaholic Designs”=

Thursday, February 3, 2011

The most stubborn cunning

When one has children, I am fast learning, one must make use of all the deepest stores of creativity at one's disposal when trying to get said children to eat healthy.

Lily has gotten better, and I have to remind myself not to expect too much to quickly, but there are lines with respect to food that she simply will not cross.  Namely, vegetables.  Beyond carrots and peas, she refuses utterly to allow a single foul vegetable to cross her lips.

So, being the diabolical mommy that I am, I have conjured ways to trick her into eating the aforementioned vegetables.  I will use Lily's new favorite word to explain it to you.  Camouflage.

That's right, I sneak vegetables into Lily's diet under the guise of her favorite foods.  Like my modified green smoothie/ice cream.



Strawberries
Mango
Apple
Agave syrup
Water
Cashews
Pureed spinach and kale

I've grown to love my ice cream maker, because I can toss all these ingredients into my blender, then pour them into the ice cream maker, wait fifteen minutes, and have a cold, delicious treat.  But I've also used frozen fruit and had this as an actual smoothie.  It is delicious either way.  This recipe doesn't have a lot of spinach and kale (about half a cup pureed), but every little bit helps.  This definitely does have a hint of green to it, but I let Lily put in all the fruit and the syrup, then when she wasn't looking, I added the veggies (I told you I was diabolical).  She didn't think twice about eating it, regardless of the hue.  (I've also used pureed celery and carrots, and cucumber and avocado, both of which she readily ate)

I also find little ways throughout the day to sneak in veggies.  She loves scrambled eggs for breakfast and I've taken to adding pureed spinach and avocado to the mix.  Occassionally, she'll comment on the "green things" in her eggs, but she'll still eat them.  I've also come up with my own creation, which I like to call sweet potato spread.



















Steamed sweet potato
Steamed parsnip
Chives
Cashews (soaked in water)

I run everything through my food processor until it is smooth and spread a thin layer onto Lily's cheese sandwich.  She loves it.  I can also use the leftovers to make this really taste souffle that I love, although Lily won't touch it.

As long as I can get her to eat two or three servings of vegetables a day, I feel like I am succeeding, even though my victories seem small.  Most of my ideas have included cooked vegetables, so if anyone has had success getting a reluctant kid to eat fresh veggies, please give me the recipe. 

Cutting down on sugar continues to be a struggle, but I've been keeping the treats back to once or twice a week.



On a different note, when I asked Lily if she could paint me a picture of a pink castle, she looked at me in all seriousness and said, "Mommy, don't you know that pink is passé."  She then proceeded to paint a green and purple sunset.  I was put properly in my place.

Listening to Big Coat, by Wiretree.  Perfect music for an overcast, cold day of reading and snuggling with Lily on the sofa.

4 comments:

mad white woman said...

I lucked out, Clara eats almost any vegetable I give her. And she actually prefers them raw, especially carrots and broccoli. My husband is the one I have a hard time getting to eat his vegetables...

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

I LOOOOOOOOOOVE that you're posting so much again! SO fun to read all your posts! And this one makes me LAUGH that you hid veggies in the ice cream, hahahaha!!! AWESOME!

Steve and Cyndi said...

ha ha! Isn't that from Pinkalicious? Actually I think it is from Purplicious... anyways, Shelby loves those books!

Aimee said...

I enjoy reading your blogs. I also like the recipes you are adding to them. They sound yummy. I need to try them. Lily is so stinking smart! Doesn't surprise me one bit. :)