Blogaholic Designs”=

Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Incredible, Edible Egg

There are so many things about Lily that I classify as my "favorite". Ernie often makes fun of me because I say at least three times a week that the outfit she is wearing is my "favorite". He always responds with, "yeah, favorite today. Tomorrow you'll have a new one." The same goes for classifying my "favorite" of our many daily rituals. But really, I love having breakfast with Lily. It truly is my favorite time of the day. And anyone who knows me knows that I am anything but a morning person, so this is saying a lot. Let me explain why it is my favorite.

I decided to introduce eggs into Lily's diet when she turned a year. And it so happened that she took to them quite exuberantly. I only had one problem with the transition. With a bottle, she had a instant breakfast. When I got rid of her bottle and switched to eggs for breakfast, she no longer was given a meal immediately upon waking. And when Lily has to wait for food when she is hungry, she gets very demanding. So to overcome this little hiccup, I got the idea to let her participate in the cooking process. It turns out, she loved it. So now our morning ritual includes making her morning omelet together. The first time Ernie saw us doing it he thought it was the most adorable thing ever. So the next day he insisted on recording it. Now, keep in mind I woke up five minutes before filming this, so be kind. Or rather, don't look at me at all. Focus on Lily and her ever-present adorable-ness.


And since I have been getting nostalgic lately, I wanted to include some pictures you have already seen. This first one is Lily at three days old when we took her to her first pediatric appointment. She still has her hospital bracelet on because Ernie and I were both scared to clip it off. Neither of us new a thing about babies and she terrified us more than a little bit. When she was born she was 9 pounds 8 ounces and 20 3/4 inches.


The second picture is her first sponge bath at home, so she is two days old. She was born a stunningly beautiful girl, wasn't she? I can't believe how tiny she was.

Now flash forward fourteen months and we see a nearly 26 pound, 33 inch little toddler dancing and singing and stirring up all kinds of mischief. It has been a crazy year and I can't believe how much she has changed. But mostly, I can't believe how fast it has gone. I used to wish I could freeze her as a little baby. Every time she reached a new milestone, I was elated, but also a little sad that she was growing up and wouldn't be my snuggley little baby forever (although she will, just not in the same way). Now I am just enjoying the ride. And I have loved (and will continue to love) every minute of it.


3 comments:

Shelly said...

What a little talker! That was so adorable thank you for sharing that darling video what a cute little niece I have, she is really growing up so fast Jamie what a sweet heart! You have to post more of those videos on your blog. Hazel and Lily are going to be talking up a storm together I can't wait to see them together!

mad white woman said...

I'm impressed you take the time to do that every morning... and that you can crack the egg with one hand. I've always wanted to learn
how to do that.

She's such a cute little girl and she talks so well.

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Ohhh, that's one thing I keep secret from my kids. I know eggs are healthy but I don't let my kids know that eggs really are the devil. Blech. She was 9 pounds!? Holy Moly!!! Savanna was so scrawny at one year only weight 17 pounds so I though Lilly was a chunker to weight 20. Your Lily is a good eater!!! You're lucky! I feel happy if my Lilly eats 1/2 her food.