Blogaholic Designs”=

Friday, December 26, 2008

Twas the Night Before Christmas [to Lily]


'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house

There were crayons on the floor and paste on my blouse.

The stockings were hung on the mantel with care

In hopes that Saint Nicholas soon would be there.

After tantrums and rants, we finally coaxed her to bed

While visions of sleeping in danced in our heads.

While I sat in the chair stuffing stockings with glee,

Dad sat with a half-assembled toddler chair on his knee.

When up on the roof we heard hooves clitter-clatter,

I rubbed sleepy eyes and sighed "Now what's the matter?"

Then Jolly Saint Nick, with his eyes all aglow

Came up to the door saying "Ho, ho, ho, ho!"

"I've a special gift for you that I've handled with care."

So he opened his sack with a flourish and flare.

It was filled with sweet kisses and giant bear hugs,

And attached was a message, "To Mommy, with love."

My eyes filled with tears, my heart started to soar.

I smiled and told Santa "No gift could mean more."

As he flew out of sight with his eight reindeer all,

I crept into the nursery to see my daughter so small.

We'd had sleepless nights, dirty diapers galore.

But with her love in my heart it was hardly a chore.

So this special Christmas Eve was particularly bright,

As I whispered "Merry Christmas, my love. May you have a good-night."

1 comment:

mad white woman said...

Wow Jamie, you certainly have a gift. That poem was very eloquently penned with love. Ahh, very sweet.