Blogaholic Designs”=

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Black Friday

I think that when God was putting me together, he left out a very important female part of my brain that is supposed to enjoy shopping. It seems like every other woman I know loves to shop. Me, I dread it. And if ever there was a day to bring that dread racing to the surface in beads of anxious sweat, it is Black Friday. The mere thought of battling the crowds and fighting for a marked-down pair of Jimmy Choos or a $15 cashmere scarf brings on a full-blown panic attack. I have long hated Black Friday. I stay securely sequestered in my house while the world erupts into madness outside my door. I have avoided it like the plague every year. Every year, that is, except this one. Lily, unfortunately, does not share my hermit tendencies and was going stir crazy being cooped up in our small house all day. So I took her out with the intention of getting something to eat and finding a park somewhere for her to run off some energy. So, after driving around for thirty minutes hunting down a parking spot and then standing in line for fifteen minutes waiting for a table at Mel's, we finally had lunch. Lily had a great time flirting with the people in the booth behind us and she left with a full tummy and this delightful balloon. I was stressed out by the whole ordeal of battling the crowds to get there, so I cruelly forwent the park and took her back home. But the balloon kept her occupied and entertained for the remainder of the afternoon, so I didn't have to feel too guilty about it.

And before you scoff at my fear of shopping, read about the Wal-mart employee who was trampled to death by a stampede upon opening the doors, or the six-year-old who was shot on Black Friday outside a Toys-R-Us. Then you might think my fear is a bit more justified. People are stressed out enough with the economy as it is. Add the prospect of 60% off deodorant and toothpaste, and you can't predict what people will do.



But I think Lily had fun without being a part of the melee. It was a cold day, but it was sunny, so she got to play in the backyard a bit. And between that, her balloon, and her much-loved rocking horse, she kept herself fairly well occupied.



And although Lily and I mostly stayed out of the chaos, Ernie, who hates it even more than I do, braved the crowds to get me this...


Because he knew how bummed I was at not being able to be with my family for Thanksgiving, he surprised me with this wonderful necklace and earing set and a box seat ticket to see La Boheme (I've been hinting for weeks that I wanted to go see it). The ruby studs in the earings are inter-changable, so I can put any gemstone I want in there. But the necklace isn't, so I think I'll keep the rubies in the earings so they match. As sad as it seems, this was the first time since having Lily (really, since being big and pregnant), that I got to really get all dolled up and feel beautiful. It wasn't just the lovely jewelery or the pretty dress. It was being cherished by a man who loves me enough to see a need for such things when he is perfectly content to live his life in board shorts and flip flops. Thanks babe!


5 comments:

Amy said...

Wow, your guy has great taste in jewelry! You look wonderful, and La Boheme?! I'm so jealous. :-)

mad white woman said...

I'll likely laugh for days about your comment regarding not knowing what people will do for 60% off deoderant and toothpaste. Ha!

Look at you, Miss Fancy. I thought for sure you were going to say that first picture was going on the inside cover of your new book. :)

Yes, those are Danny's boys. And yes, they look A LOT like him. It's pretty funny.

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

W@@@@! W@W hot little mama! Jamie you look smashing! What a fun night! And no worries, generally shopping to me is all about the people I'm with. I despise clothes shopping and detest even more WINDOW (covet) shopping.

Shelly said...

Jamie,
Hey you look so pretty!I love that dress you look really good in red. I am sorry that you guys weren't able to come for thanksgiving we missed you): but will see you for Christmas!

p.s. you have to teach me how to shape my eye brows yours look so good!!

Carin said...

I know what you mean about Black Friday, Yikes!! Your baby is adorable! She has the sweetest little face:) You look awesome as well:) Gotta love a man who gives jewelry!