Blogaholic Designs”=

Thursday, December 4, 2008

La Boheme

I know I mentioned my evening at the opera in my last post, but I wanted to give a more detailed recap. So here you go...


Okay, so for those of you who are not familiar with the story of La Boheme, I will provide a brief synopsis here. It will be a good way to flex my brain muscles and see how few words I can use to describe my favorite opera. It is written by Giacomo Puccini, who is a genius and also wrote my second favorite opera, Madama Butterfly.

The opera opens with bohemian artists, Marcello and Rudolfo, freezing in an apartment in Paris, unable to buy coal or pay rent. Rudolfo, the poor poet, offers his latest work as fodder for the fire. Just as they are about to run out of pages, their two Bohemian friends, Colline and Schaunard, return with bread, wine, fruit and pockets full of money. They then tell an amusing tale of how they earned their riches by killing an annoying parrot with parsley. Marcello, Colline and Schaunard leave for a night on the town in the French Quarter to flaunt their spoils. Rudolfo stays behind to work on a piece for a newspaper, promising he will catch up with them later. After his friends leave, there is a knock on the door and he meets a beautiful, and obviously ill, woman in need of a light for her candle. Rudolfo is smitten and, after a beautiful aria in which she tells him she is a poor seamstress living a very simple life, he attempts to seduce her. But then his friends call up to him that they are waiting and she begs to go out with them. After much merrymaking, during which time we are introduced to Musetta, a vain and beautiful woman who has eyes for Marcello, the scene ends with everyone paired up as they should be.

The next scene opens months later with Mimi imploring Marcello for help. Rudolfo has become suspicious and jealous and picks fights at every turn. Marcello tells her she must leave him. She leaves when Rudolfo enters and hides as the two men speak. Rudolfo admits that he loves Mimi more than life, but he fears for her health. He knows that she is dying and he is too poor to provide heat, let alone pay for a doctor. Mimi overhears and is devastated (don’t ask me why she didn’t know she was dying until now, but whatever). Mimi and Rudolfo again have a beautiful duet wherein they agree to part come spring (because it is too hard to be alone in the winter).

Now the scene flashes forward to the artists’ apartment once again, many months later. They both lament the loss of their loves (Rudolfo lost Mimi and Marcello lost Musetta). Schaunard and Colline again arrive with provisions to brighten their moods and amidst their merrymaking, Musetta arrives saying that she found Mimi in the street and she is too sick to climb the stairs. We learn that she has left her wealthy lover and cannot afford medicine. Rudolfo carries her into the apartment and they have a tear-jerking reunion while their friends debate what to do. They are finally left alone as each friend is sent on a different task. Mimi sings a beautiful aria reminiscing about their former love. But mid aria, she loses strength and has to switch to a lower key to finish. Just as she falls to sleep, Marcello returns with news that the doctor is on his way. Rudolfo rejoices until he notices a change in the demeanor of his friends. He returns to Mimi’s side to discover that she has died.

The End

It is a very emotional story and you can’t help but leave in tears. I was disappointed that I wasn’t able to see the Prima Donna, Angela Gheorghiu, play Mimi. I had heard such great things about her. But I did pick up an autographed disc of hers where she sings Puccini arias. She has an amazing voice and I hope I get the chance to see her live.

The night I went, Mimi was played by this woman.

Her name is Maija Kovalevska and she is from Latvia. She had played Mimi at the Met and at the L.A. opera house. She did not disappoint me here. Her voice was amazing and her performance carried the entire show, in my opinion. And I read in the program that she studies under Mirella Freni, who is one of my favorite sopranos.

Rudolfo was played by this guy

His name is Marius Brenciu, and while he has a lovely voice, he was definitely out-classed by Kovalevska.

All-in-all, it was a spectacular night. The scenery was gorgeous, the singing superb, and I got to dress up, which is always fun. Ernie hired a town car to ride to and from the city and I had center box seats, which was great. Everyone was very nice and I sat next to a couple that had seen every opera that had played in the War Memorial Opera House for the past fifteen years. They seemed to know everything about the music as well as the singers and the conductor. They filled me in on the history of the opera house and I had a delightful time with them. It was a great night. But now I’ve been spoiled and have declared that I want to repeat the experience and at least attend one opera each season. Ernie is thrilled, as you can imagine.

Now, as I can’t very well go an entire post without mentioning Lily, I have a confession. My night was bittersweet because Lily spent a good portion of her evening calling for me. The next morning Ernie went in to get her from her crib and she immediately started crying and saying “Mooommmmyyy.” For the remainder of the day, she was attached to my leg. Every time I left the room she would follow with a tearful “Moooommmmy.” Yes, even to the bathroom. So while I enjoyed myself immensely, I felt so guilty the next day for selfishly taking a night out for myself. But I’ve been assured that it is good for her to see that I have a life. But that didn’t make me feel any better.



So to my sweet baby girl, I love you more than life and am sorry that you felt I had abandoned you.


3 comments:

Shelly said...

I remember when I left Kayli for the first time it was to go to Grandma Wilkinson's funeral it was so hard to leave her for 2 days but I have to agree it is good for them to be away from mommy and daddy for a few hours. I am glad that you had a great time and that Bert is so good at spoiling you that is the best to be spoiled by your sweetie!!

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

I've never actually heard of La Boheme, though you made it sound incredible. I have seen Madame Butterfly on PBS once it was fabulous! You look amazing, did I tell you that already?

mad white woman said...

Great recap on the story line. I've never seen it. Well, let's be honest, I've only seen ONE opera in my life time... Someday I'll have more culture in my life.

I hate that guilt feeling. If I leave Clara for "fun" (i.e. not work, meetings or other places I'm required to be), I feel so much guilt. However, I think it's good to take time for yourself. Now I just need to get my heart (the guilt) and mind (the reason) to jive. :)