Blogaholic Designs”=

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Making Christmas Traditions


Finally, we decorated our Christmas tree. And we will have a grand total of seven days to enjoy it before the big day. My mother, whose decorating routine has always been an elaborate ordeal, would be ashamed of me. Not only did we wait until the week before Christmas to buy and decorate our tree, but we misplaced our holiday decorations. So instead of our cute Christmas village and door wreath and our snowman candle holder, we have a Christmas tree. Nothing more. Not even outdoor lights. I'm sure people in our neighborhood think we are the Scrooges of the block. Oh well. Next year we'll be better, I hope.



My expectations for decorating the tree with Lily were low. I didn't think she would show much interest. Boy was I wrong.



We bought cookies and hot chocolate and spiced apple cider for our tree trimming ceremony. And since I'm paranoid that Lily will fall and hit her temple on the corner of a table, we have no coffee table in our living room. So I set the cookies out on the floor for Lily to dive into. And she certainly did just that.



What do you think her favorite part of the evening was? You'll notice that her mouth is covered in chocolate and cookie crumbs, so this is not her first cookie of the evening. I don't even think it is her third. Maybe her fourth?



I think Lily believed the ornaments were actually alive, because before she put any of them on the tree, she would bring them to Ernie and me and insist that we kiss them first.


You wouldn't think a fifteen month old would be at all particular about where the ornaments are placed. But you'd be wrong. I tried to help her with a couple of her ornaments. I would put it on a branch and ask if it was good. Lily would respond with a very decisive "NO!" and pull it off in search of the perfect spot. Between the plateful of cookies (of which she ate at least half) and the excitement of decorating, Lily went to bed an hour and a half after her normal bedtime. But I was surprisingly okay with it. And besides, she slept in until almost 8:30 the next morning.


So here is the finished product. I think it turned out pretty well. I didn't put the strung cranberries on because I imagined Lily getting one loose and chocking to death on it. I didn't put the ribbon on the tree because I was certain she would get it stuck around her neck and keel over. And all the ornaments are 100% wooden and lead-free. Some may call me paranoid. But I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Oh yes! I can't forget to show you Lily's special contribution to the tree. It is the box that the tree lights came in. She was so proud of herself for putting it on. Since then, she has also contributed a stuffed tiger, a little toy mirror, a chicken nugget, a rubber bouncy ball, and a package of baby wipes.


2 comments:

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

What a gorgeous tree! Definitely wouldn't be complete without a chicken nugget or two, Lily has the right idea!

mad white woman said...

Ah, pretty tree. I always say better late than never!