Blogaholic Designs”=

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Green Monster

I have a confession to make. Since Ernie has been home with Lily, I've become insanely and completely irrationally jealous of the closeness they have developed. Isn't that awful? Before this all happened, I was the Mommy. I was the one Lily always asked for. I was the one that fed her. I was the one that bathed her and did her hair and cuddled with her. I was the one she came to when she was hurt, or upset or just needing a hug. And the truly awful thing is that during this time I would complain, if only in my head, that Ernie just sat back and let me do the lion's share. I would think that it would be nice if he offered to take over more and let me relax or enjoy some alone time.

So now I have my wish. Ernie is home with Lily all day and knows what it takes to take care of her. He now realizes why I was so exhausted that I fell into bed shortly after Lily. When I get home from work, he takes care of dinner and bathtime and bedtime so that I can spend some time writing and make my deadline. So I now have all the "alone" time and "me" time that I could possibly want. But here's the rub, I don't necessarily want it anymore. I sit down to work on my book and hear Ernie and Lily giggling in the other room and I want to be a part of it.

It has been a lesson to me that I need to be careful what I wish for. Because, you see, now Lily asks for her Daddy if she's upset. Don't get me wrong, I get my fair share of attention. But now it's split between me and Ernie. Which means I don't get as many kisses and cuddles. And I've discovered that I'm somewhat selfish when it comes to Lily's kisses and cuddles. I want them all. I keep telling myself that her relationship with her Daddy is so important and I am so lucky to have someone who takes the time to develop that and gives her plenty of love and attention. And it's true. But still, I feel jealous every time she asks for him and not me. I know, completely irrational. But you know what? That's my prerogative as a woman!

6 comments:

Steve and Cyndi said...

I TOTALLY get this 100%! I was in the exact same boat when I was home with Shelby all day and Steve worked all day. Shelby came to me for everything. Then Steve lost his job and I had all the ME time I wanted and Shelby loved her daddy so much and it made me jealous!
However, now things have balanced out. Shelby still loves her daddy oh so much, but I am still the MOM! I still get the kisses first, but she always has enough to share with her dad!
I promise you'll get your position back with Lily!

Shelly said...

I do visit your blog I have just been under the weather for the last week and a half Kayli gave me her cold and on top of my pregnancy this cold has been really annoying but on a good note I have not been to sick because I have not been able to smell much. Lily is so cute I love her hula outfit she has such long pretty hair what a sweetie give her a kiss for me.

Shelly said...

Ernie your a great daddy!You and Ernie both are such wonderful parents i love reading about all of your fun adventures.

Amy said...

Sometimes it seems like being a mommy is all about guilt! Try to just enjoy each moment! You're a great mom.

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

I can totally understand your feelings! Especially if you're having a hard time being with her as much lately, it's not irrational AT ALL!!! My situation has been the opposite though because BOTH of our girls are such daddy's girls and truthfully, it's such a relief!!! Since I'm home with them all day, I'm so relieved that they're obsessed with him because after a full day of them, I want a little break! :)

mad white woman said...

What? Women are irrational? :)

The other weekend when Clara stayed the night at my mom's, she cried when I tried to take her from my mom. It was SO sad to me! I just told myself things would go back to "normal" and they have.

Hang in there!