Blogaholic Designs”=

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Ask your heart what it doth know

Books read:  Room, by Emma Donoghue.  Read it!  Seriously, it is the best book I've read in a while.

                    Garden Spells, by Sarah Addison Allen.  Magical, whimsical and beautiful. 

                    Sugar Queen, by Sarah Addison Allen.  I love her.  Can't wait to read her other books

                   The Hiding Place, by Corrie Ten Boom.  I'm a sap, so I cried throughout.  Highly recommended

I've had a lot on my mind this past week, what with our potential move to St. Augustine and all.  What?  You didn't know we were discussing such a move?  Well, Ernie has an opportunity to work in Jacksonville to help build up that branch of the company he works for.  If he decides to take the job, we'll be living in St. Augustine.  I have mixed feelings about this potential step and have been dragging my heels, but Lily and I are finally going there next week to diligently look for a house. 

Anyhow, the point of this tangent is that, with all this on my mind, I haven't been sleeping well.  The upside is that I've had hours of uninterrupted time at night to read.  The downside is that I've been an awful, sleepy grouch in the mornings.  But I have gotten a solid start on my reading list.  And so far I am quite impressed with my selections.  Sarah Addison Allen, in particular, has inspired my love and devotion.  Her books are definitely quirky, but that is what makes them so fantastic.  Her writing is so very lovely that I wish I could just bathe in her words and let them seep into my skin.

Anyhow, on to the real reason you've all stopped by.  Updates on the bug.



Lily is on a jumping kick lately.  She takes great pride in her skill as a jumper.  Everyday she gets on her trampoline and jumps so high she's practically flying.  She likes to do "trick jumps", which generally consist of some fancy footwork and a lot of spinning mid-air.



Ernie's job in Louisiana is wrapping up in the next few weeks.  He'll be taking some time off to spend with us, but then he'll be off to another job in Austin.  I'm really not looking forward to it.  Things have been hard enough commuting between Charleston and Louisiana.  Austin adds an extra ten hours to the drive.  I'm trying to be optimistc and planning trips to visit.  Austin is an awesome town and I'm excited to explore it with Lily.  But realistically, I doubt we'll be there as often as I'd like.  After this job, things should settle down and his traveling will be kept to a minimum.  In the meantime, I'm trying to pack in as much time with him in as I can before he has to go. 






He's a sport, considering he wakes up at 4:00 every morning for work.  But he always makes time for us when we are all together.



In other news, I have sort of halfway committed to giving up naptime with Lily.  Lately she has been staying up late (just lying in bed, mind you, but still awake), and it is driving me nuts.  Then she'll make up for it by taking a three-to-four hour nap in the afternoon.  So I've been setting her up with a pillow and blanket on the couch during naptime.  I've told her she doesn't have to sleep, but she has to relax.  So I put on a movie and she chills for an hour or so.  It seems to have solved our problems at night, but I really miss naptime.  I use it to work and clean and blog and, if I have time, read a bit.  I haven't fully committed to the no-nap thing, but right now I don't know what else to do. 

So that's our life in a nutshell.  This week is looking to be a crazy one, but I'm excited.  I enjoy change and am looking forward to our next adventure.  With good tunes, good company and plenty of good books at my disposal, I'm sure I'll enjoy the journey.

Listening to Rambling Man by Laura Marling.  I heart her.

3 comments:

mad white woman said...

I love The Hiding Place. I enjoy reading, but I think that is the only book I have read more than once.

I think your life in the last few years has been full of more adventure than mine in the last 10 years. I'm sure that it has it's pros and cons, but you sure make it look exciting!

PS 4AM is way too early to wake up. :)

James and Summer said...

love your book selections
darling pics of lily
we switched from nap time to 'rest time'. A time where resting/quiet/reading/movie watching may occur - AND leaving mommy alone time also occurs. I still do what I did before. I surely do miss nap time.
Good luck with the move - hope all works out well!

Steve and Cyndi said...

Lily still takes naps? Wow! That' is awesome! Shelby gave those up just before she turned 2... We have since done Quiet Time everyday in place of a nap. She can more or less do whatever she wants, but she has to be able to do it by herself, so I can still have my time. It works for us...
And, I just have to say... LOVE Lily's hair as she's jumping! Awesome picture!