Blogaholic Designs”=

Thursday, January 27, 2011

The quietest and most constant friends

Notable books I've read this week:

Freedom, by Jonathan Franzen:  I've been debating whether or not I would read this book for some time.  I generally stay clear of Oprah Book Club selections.  But I'm glad I bit the bullet this time.  It was a very interesting read and I'd never read a book written entirely from the viewpoints of characters outside of the action.  Am I glad I read it?  Yes.  Would I read it again?  No.  But I couldn't put it down once I started it.  Compelling, I suppose would be the best word for it.  I still can't decide if I liked it or hated it, though.

Squirrel seeks Chipmunk, by David Sedaris:  Not everyone likes Mr. Sedaris' style, but I love him.  I've read every book he's written and enjoyed this one just as much as I expected to. 

Left Neglected, by Lisa Genova:  This was a touching story that I read in one late-night sitting, much to my detriment, as I could barely drag myself out of bed the next morning.  Definitely recommended.  I'll warn you, though, it is a tear-jerker.

The Art of Racing in the Rain, by Garth Stein:  This one has been on my list for a while, but I was determined to read it this year.  It is a book about a philosophizing dog.  'Nough said.  Loved it!


My list of books to read this year, which began at 237, has grown to 293.  I think I need to stop adding to it, or I'll never reach the end before 2012.  But I am enjoying making my way through it. I've never read with any sort of purpose before (other than for school).  I'd always just picked books that seemed interesting to me at the moment.  Having a reading list has sort of focused my efforts and changed the way I read, if that makes sense.  My favorite book from this week was definitely Left Neglected.  Followed very closely by The Art of Racing in the Rain.  Both are fabulous for different reasons.

I am so grateful for books.  All my life I have had a near-obsessive relationship with the written word.  I read everything and anything I can get my hands on.  There has not been a single day since about the fourth grade that I haven't read something for pleasure.  My mom couldn't take me to a store without me begging her for a new book, and once I got my own library card, I always had the maximum number of books checked out, rotating my fifteen books every two weeks.  There were times I read two or three books a day. 

As I said, it has often bordered on obsession. 



And, despite the fact that I doubt I had much to do with it, I am very proud that Lily shares my love of reading.


These are her favorite books.  She knows each one well enough to "read" them to her baby dolls.  She loves story time with her baby dolls and stuffed animals.  She reads to them everyday.  Between reading to her toys, me reading to her, and her reading to herself with her tag pen or her v.reader, I would estimate that she reads about two or three hours a day.  She will almost aways choose reading over any other activity when we're home.  Just as she will almost always prefer a trip to the bookstore over a trip to the toy store.

I am not saying this to brag, but rather to express my gratitude that I can share something as important to me as reading with my daughter.  I know I say this a lot, but I couldn't have asked for a greater kid than Lily.  Just when I think I can't possibly love her more, she gives me more reasons to do just that.

Listening to July Fame, by Laura Veirs.  I got it free on itunes so I wasn't expecting to love it, but I do.  Go figure.

2 comments:

mad white woman said...

My older sister has a similar obsession. I just don't know where you guys find the time to read that much! I haven't read a book in a while. Hopefully I read at least one grown-up book this year. Ha ha. Clara loves to read and I'm so glad b/c if she wakes up too early I'll tell her to "read" in her room and she'll normally do so for at least 30 minutes.

Steve and Cyndi said...

Seriously! I think Shelby and Lily would be BFF's! They have SO much in common! Shelby LOVES to read too! She could spend hours in book stores! We go to the library once a week and after 2 hours there I am DRAGGING her out! She has 4 FULL bookshelves loaded with just her books (plus 4 FULL totes in the garage that I can switch out)...What are some of Lily's favorite books? I'm always looking for new books to introduce to Shelby...