Blogaholic Designs”=

Monday, January 10, 2011

Re-establishing our purpose


I decided that, after our fun-filled, sugary explosion of a holiday season, we would eliminate sugar from our diets for two weeks. 



And by "we", I mean Lily and I, as Ernie is incapable of cutting peanut butter cups from his diet. 

I think I expected some sort of protest from Lily, but surprisingly, she has taken it very well.  I explained everything to her, telling her that we ate too many treats over the holidays and we needed to load up on healthy food so our bodies have energy.  She agreed, telling me she would eat healthy and get lots and lots of energy to jump (she is on a jumping kick right now.  She would jump on her trampoline all day long if she could). 

As long as we are home, she doesn't even seem to notice.  When we go out, she asks for treats as usual, but is very accepting when I remind her we are not eating sugary treats.  So the first week is behind us and I thought it was rather easy for both of us.  At least, Lily hadn't openly complained or thrown any fits.

Then this morning, while she was eating her snack of apple slices and cheese, I hear Lily talking to herself.  There isn't anything inherently strange in this as she is often talking to herself.  It's a Hamilton trait, I think.  Both Ernestine and Ernie often hold entire conversations with themselves.  But I couldn't help taking note of  this particular conversation.  It went something like this:

"All I want is one cookie.  Just one won't be bad for me.  It can be a healthy cookie.  I just want one.  Do you think Mommy will let me have one?" she asks, tilting her head to the side before firmly shaking it.  "No, we can't eat sugary snacks.  I can make one all by myself.  But I can't.  The oven is hot and it will hurt me really, really bad.  Then Mommy would be sad and cry."

I didn't interrupt her or comment on the overheard conversation.  I think she'll work it out for herself.  She usually does.



In the mean time, I'll keep her busy with fun activities to keep her mind off that desperate desire for a cookie.

1 comment:

mad white woman said...

Ha ha. That is definitely a conversation to remember. I have been wanting to do something about mine and Clara's sugar intake. I eat way too much sugar and so does Clara. It makes her crazy, which in turn makes me crazy. :) But sometimes I'm so extreme I kept waiting to get motivation to stop eating sugar forever. I think I could do two weeks. Maybe I'll try it.