Blogaholic Designs”=

Thursday, January 20, 2011

The greatest wealth is health

Lily has been sick for two days.  Well, not sick, exactly, but definitely not well.  Everytime she eats something, her tummy hurts.  Since she hasn't thrown up but is still bent over clutching her stomach, I assume it is cramping pains.  But how do you explain the difference to a preschooler who has no frame of reference?  I tell you, it sure isn't easy. 

Here are my theories.  As you know, I banished sugar from our house for a couple of weeks. The reason I did this is Lily was complaining about stomach aches after the holidays.  Again, it only happened when she ate.  I assumed that, since she didn't have any other symptoms, it was the overload of sugar.  So after two weeks sugar free, she was fine.  In fact, her appetite and energy improved drastically.  Last week I introduced sugar again.  Now, while I've been more aware and careful about the sugary treats she gets this week, she's still gotten quite a bit.  Not everyday, as it was (or multiple times a day, rather), but several times a week. 

Apparently, that wasn't good enough. 

So I've been scouring my cookbooks trying to come up with a meal plan that will exclude sugar (except on VERY rare occassions) while still being tasty enough for the discerning preschooler's palate.  It's actually been pretty fun.  And I've come up with several recipes we all really love.



My two favorite, so far, are the raw spinach and tomato dip and the sugarless honey apple cake.  I'm excited to come up with more.  It is kind of like chemistry, finding alternatives for the ingredients we use so often in recipes.  Namely, sugar and dairy.  I have a renewed determination to teach Lily that healthy eating can still taste delicious. 

Raw Spinach-Tomato Dip

Spinach
Tomatoes
almonds
cashews
olive oil
water
lemon juice
garlic cloves
sea salt
psyllim husk (this isn't neccessary, but it makes the dip thick and creamy)

I just added all the ingredients to my food processor.  Just play with it until you find the right amounts to suit you.  You can also add or take away any of the ingredients.  The cashews, almonds and psyllim husks are what give it the really creamy texture.  I seriously couldn't stop eating this.  ps:  You have to soak the cashews and almonds until they are tender.  I stuck mine in water overnight and they were perfect.

Sugar-Free Honey Apple Cake

2 large apples
2 eggs
1/4 cup butter
1 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup honey
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine the eggs, butter and applesauce. In separate bowl, whisk together oil, milk and honey. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture then pour in honey mixture. Mix well then fold in diced apples. Bake at 325 degrees for about 40 minutes and voila!  You have a delectable, sugar-free cake that is moist, slightly spicy and delicious.

One thing I've learned on this journey - and you should take note if you ever decide to eliminate sugar - is that sugar-free does not always equal healthy.  There are sugar substitutes out there that are as bad, if not worse, than sugar.  My new rule is that if it isn't natural and fresh (i.e., no processed sugars or syrups), then I won't use it.  I've even found raw honey at my local grocery store.  I like it better than regular honey.  That, and unsweetened applesauce, are the best substitutes I've found for sugar.  Honey is particularly good for you, since it is packed full of vitamins and antioxidant, plus it has a healthy glycemic index. It also has good carbohydrates to give you a boost of energy, to say nothing of the benefits for your skin.

I'll post the recipes I come up with as I test them and I'll let you know the results.  If anyone has any raw and/or sugar-free recipes he/she would like to share in the comments, I'd be very appreciative.



I have also been using these fabulous snack containers.  I got mine from Target, but I'm sure you could get them anywhere.  They were $5-something for a set of three.  I just fill them up with carrots, strawberries, grapes, crackers, etc. and throw them in my purse.  Five minutes of effort before leaving the house curbs my need to resort to fast food when the bug and I are out and about during the day.  Lily can open and close them easily, too, so she can eat at her leisure.

What I've learned so far is that eating healthy requires more effort than eating unhealthy.  But not that much more effort.  It is a matter of adding a couple of steps to your routine.  Plus, the extra time is a good opportunity to spend quality time with your kids.  Lily loves helping me cook and bake.  And she is learning about different ingredients and how to measure.  I'm compiling recipes and a list of substitutes as I go, which will make the whole process take less time down the road.  And by starting this now, I hope that Lily will grow up with a healthy mindset about food and her body image.  Plus, I fit into a pair of jeans I haven't fit into for a year.  Bonus.

And of course, you can't enter a cooking or baking endeavor without the proper tunes. I am particularly fond of Like Lavender by Horse Feathers

3 comments:

mad white woman said...

I've been really trying to limit our sugar intake lately. Clara complains a lot about her stomach hurting when she eats too much junk and she knows now too much will make her sick.

My sister just posted a recipe for a raw ranch dip that looks pretty similar to this. Mmmm, I love dips and can't wait to try this.

Steve and Cyndi said...

Shelby always vomits if she eats too much candy... Not fun. Those recipes look pretty good though! I haven't seen that snack bowl thing, but I do try to keep some sort of snack on me. I'll have to check out target because I like that one!

Amy said...

MMM, I'm going to try the honey cake. Looks good. Did you know that if you eat honey made from local plants it can get rid of your allergies to the local plants? Cool, huh?