Blogaholic Designs”=

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Warm as a summer, Fresh as a spring

We've had a rather lovely week.  Ernie had some time off work this week, so we got to spend a few fun days with him.  Days like these are a rarity lately, which makes me appreciate them all the more.


We didn't do anything terribly thrilling with our days, but somehow they were still fun.  Like yesterday.  We bundled up the bug and took her to the park.  She kicked her ball to her heart's content.


Being an Arizona girl, I am horrible at anticipating the cold weather, so we got caught without a hat for Lily.  Good thing I had an extra scarf in the car.  Doesn't my little babushka look darling?


Lily discovered this giant statue-thing and insisted we take a picture.  There was no plaque, so your guess is as good as mine as to what the thing is meant to be.  My guess, seeing as how we were in Louisiana, was that it was a funky fleur di lis.


We played on the really awesome jungle gym at the playground.  I'd like to mention that Lily has gotten so much more coordinated lately (she definitely doesn't take after her Mama there) and is now zipping through the jungle gym at lightening speed.  She's still afraid of heights, but the fear is limited to tall slides and those fireman-pole-type contraptions. 


And of course, we couldn't go to the park without swinging on the swings.


And the tractor.  Lily dug the tractor.  But seriously?  What kid could pass this baby by without taking it for a spin?


Oh, and it would hardly be a visit to Daddy's without getting her fair share of tickles.


After the park, we were frozen solid and starving, so we went to this burger place inside the Amtrak station next to the playground.  They advertised their world famous burgers in neon signs in the windows, so of course I was skeptical. Imagine my surprise to discover they weren't lying.  These were some tasty burgers.  And I couldn't get enough of the sweet potato fries.


Lily, who had not had a nap and had consumed a massive portion of chocolate cake, suddenly couldn't keep still and turned into quite the silliest little girl in all of creation.  I couldn't fathom why ;)


Pictures of all three of us are so rare, so we played the obnoxious tourist role and made the waitress snap one while we were there.


More memories of the sugar high.  I think after being off sugar for two weeks, she was particularly hyper from it this time.


Don't be fooled by the tiny plate.  The actual cake was about the size of her head. 


And as we were waiting for our check, Lily kept herself occupied by making napkin drawings.  This is a face (notice the eyes, mouth, tooth and tongue).

So we didn't plan anything exciting, but it was a lovely week filled with little family outings and memories to take with us when we leave him again next week.  I honestly think this week will remain in my memory as one of my all-time favorites.  And all we did was go to the park or walk around the neighborhood.  I know I dedicate a lot of this blog to Lily, but I have to mention how very much I love Ernie.  He is an amazing person and I couldn't imagine my life without him.  He is supportive, loving and indulgent with me and with Lily.  Our family is better for having him in it.

1 comment:

mad white woman said...

I'm also really bad at remembering to dress Clara warm enough, even here in AZ.

That red chair swing looks pretty cool. That whole park looks pretty cool, actually.

I love sweet potato fries, but can't seem to find anywhere close that compares to my favorite place in downtown Phoenix.